Mundie Moms

Monday, December 10, 2012

The Mortal Instruments Movie Monday #10: Simon aka Robert Sheehan


Welcome to this week's edition of The Mortal Instruments Movie Monday. This week's post is about our favorite best friend, SIMON and the actor who's portraying in the movie, Robert Sheehan. Go ahead, fan yourself. ;)

I mentioned the other day on Twitter that seeing Robert Sheehan playing Simon, makes me see Simon in a whole new way. Boy does he do Simon justice! I'm just saying.... I have a feeling I'm going to have hard time being annoyed with City of Bones movie Simon vs book Simon. I adore Simon. He's that fabulous best friend who's always there for Clary, but yet he bugs me to no end when he won't just let her go. Let me clarify, I get why he's protective of her, and I admire him for that, what I get annoyed at is even when it's obvious she doesn't share the same feelings towards him as he has for her, he won't back off. That totally annoys me in the book. BUT, Simon is a character who slowly but surely grew on me. The more I got to know him, the more I fell in love with him.



The moment I realized it was going to be impossible for me to be irritated at Simon in the movie..... that look. No, not the Jace look, the one above. I had to include Jace for my viewing pleasure, because it was part of the video clip. ;)




I feel Simon is the character that grows the most in the series, and it's one of the things I love that Cassie does with his character. That growth he has in each book made me love him more. He is a character who as he matures more, and changes, becomes more comfortable in his own skin. Out of all the characters in The Mortal Instruments series, he's the one who surprised me the most. I wasn't excepting geeky Simon (which I love), to become hot vampire Simon who can hold his own against Jace. I think Robert is the only actor who can portray that growth perfectly. I feel as an actor, Robert really gets and understands Simon. I'll elaborate more on that at a future date when my movie set trip embargo is lifted. ;)

For example, I will admit Simon kind of ticked me off with Magnus's party scene when he gets himself turned into a rat. I loved that Clary rescues him and all, but this scene here:



You know what my first thought when seeing Simon in this scene was, "Aw, poor Simon!" I would love to say curse you Robert Sheehan for making me feel for Simon here. Really how could I not?! Not saying I didn't love Simon in COB or don't feel bad for him during this time, but seeing him here just gets me in a way that it didn't in the book. See what I mean.... Robert Sheehan is the perfect Simon! I don't think anyone else would make me feel sorry for him and want to protect him. 


With Simon, I loved how Cassie made him a crucial character in the storyline. We know with Cassie most of her characters of a point being in the storyline. I felt like Simon's progression goes like this: boy who's in love with his best friend and doesn't take the hint she doesn't love him, but will do anything for her, boyfriend, broken up, awkward stage, starts to realize Clary may not be right for him after all, changes into a vampire, he has more confidence, and slowly becomes more of Clary's protector, confidant, friend, someone who's grown to be some what of a leader. Then we get to COFA and I am full grown in love with this Simon! COLS- Kick butt Simon has full emerged onto the scene.

When I took to twitter last week to ask you guys one word you would use to describe Simon some of you said:
- Understanding
- Reliable
- Comfort
- Best Friend
- Hot Nerd
- Geeky
- Supportive

No matter what anyone says, Robert Sheehan is the perfect Simon in my book and I can not wait to see what he does with Simon on the big screen. I have a feeling he's going to have Jamie/Jace some stiff competition. I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on Simon & Robert Sheehan's casting of Simon.

3 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts! I think Robert does Simon justice and it's pretty insane that I practically hated Simon all the way through the first book except his snarky sarcastic jokes, but he is now my favorite character :)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Sirtsu! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that didn't love Simon in CoB. I loved that he grew on me as the series progressed. He's definitely one of my favs now too!

      Delete
  2. The movie looks amazing, your reviews are good to read.

    Latest Movie Updates

    ReplyDelete

Labels