Mundie Moms

Monday, January 14, 2013

Mundane Monday #170: A Teaser from Jace's POV from the Alleyway in City of Fallen Angels

Happy Monday!! You know it's going to be a good Monday when you can finally read part of the infamous alleyway scene with Jace and Clary in City of Fallen Angels, from Jace's point of view. 




I love you. He can’t say it, so he tries to tell her with the pressure of his lips and his body and his hands. I love you, I love you. His hands are around her waist, lifting her, and he had forgotten: she isn’t fragile; she is strong. Her fingers are digging into his shoulders, her mouth fierce against his, and his heart is pounding like it’s trying to get free of his body as he sets her down on a broken speaker.

Stop, his mind is telling him. Stop, stop, stop. He forces his hands away from her and places them on the wall, on either side of her head. Only that brings his body closer to hers, and that is a mistake. He can see the pulse slamming in her throat; her lipstick is gone he can’t look away from the carnation-pink of her mouth, flushed from kissing, as she breathes: “Why can’t you talk to me? Why can’t you look at me?”


His heart is pounding as if it wants to leave his body and take up independent residence somewhere else. “Because I love you.”


It is the truth, and an inadequate truth at that, but he feels it punch through him with the force of a lie.  Her face softens, her eyes widening. Her hands are against him, small and delicate and careful, and he leans into her, breathing the scent of her under the smell of rainwater. “I don’t care,” he hears himself say. “I’m sick of trying to pretend I can live without you. Don’t you understand that? Can’t you see it’s killing me?”


He is drowning, and it is too late. He reaches for her like an addict reaching hopelessly for the drug he has sworn not to touch again, having decided it is better to burn up in one final blaze than live forever without it.


- quoted from Cassie's post of the City of Lost Souls Special Content

1 comment:

  1. That drawing is just gorgeous. It is like he is looking at us and it seems SO Jace. I love all her work. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels