Mundie Moms

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Book Review: Rise (Eve #3) by Anna Carey


By: Anna Carey
Published by: Harper Teen
Released on: April 2nd, 2013
Series: Eve #3
Source: arc from publisher to review
4 Stars: I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads

How far will you go when you have nothing left to lose?

When she lost her soul mate, Caleb, Eve felt like her world had ended. Trapped in the palace, forced to play the part of the happy, patriotic princess of The New America—and the blushing bride of her father's top adviser—Eve's whole life is a lie. The only thing that keeps her going is Caleb's memory, and the revolution he started.

Now, Eve is taking over where Caleb left off. With the help of Moss, an undercover subversive in the King's court, she plots to take down The New America, beginning with the capital, the City of Sand. Will Eve be able to bring about a new, free world when she's called upon to perform the ultimate act of rebellion—killing her father?

In Rise, Eve must choose who to leave behind, who to save, and who to fight as Anna Carey's epic tale of romance and sacrifice in the chilling dystopia of The New America comes to a stunning conclusion

When Eve first came out, I wasn't a huge Dystopian fan, but by the time I finished Eve, I wanted more. Than Once came out, and I couldn't read that book fast enough. I loved it. Now with Rise's release I tried with all my might to read this book slowly, but I just couldn't. I devoured this book in a matter of a few hours. I had to find out what was going to happen to Eve, and Caleb. I needed answers, and boy did I get them. Let's just say that not all the answers I got were ones I wanted or excepted, but they were perfectly fitting given all that happens with Eve in Rise. Oh yes, there is a few shocking surprises. 

I'm going to cut right to the chase and say how much I missed Caleb in this book, though he's very much apart of the story. I know that won't make total sense, but you'll know what I'm saying when you read the book. Much of this book is focused on Eve, and what she's going to do after she finds out some devastating news. This girl is a rock! I really admire the strength Eve has. Honestly, she's like a tank that just won't stop. I admire her for, her standing up and doing what she firmly believes in, without letting the fear of being outnumbered or the fear of the impossible hold her back. Eve's always been a tough girl, but I feel like she grew up a lot in this book. She had to. She lose, and heartache, and her wanting to do what's right are her biggest motivates, and what drive her to do what she does. 

There is a lot of unrest with this storyline that only fuels the action, adds to the shock of the betrayal and hypes up the twists that this story has. One of the things that surprised me the most, was the reveal of a few key characters and their roles with all that was going down. I have to admit, there were also a couple characters I ended liking more in this book, then I had previously. I love that when an author can still surprise me like that. I also love it when a series literally picks up right where the previous book left off. Yes, I even did a quick re-read of the end of Once so I didn't miss anything or confuse anything, but that wasn't needed, because Rise literally leaves off right where Once did. There's no rehashing of what happened in the previous book, or Eve recounting anything, which when read back to back like this, is fabulous. I love jumping right back into the story. 

While I really have enjoyed this Dystopian series, the very end of this book left me feeling satisfied, but also, very much wanting so much more with the ending. I didn't want that to be the final ending. I wanted more. Instead of feeling like everything wrapped up perfectly, I'm left feeling like there needs to be a little more. It's not an open ended ending by any means, but instead it's one that felt a little rushed or a bit incomplete. I needed one to two more pages. But, I also liked that the ending allows me to carry on the story within my mind. I guess the best way to put the ending is to say that it's a great ending for a 3rd book if there was going to be a 4th one.

Maybe I'm just hoping this series really isn't over. I swear this is the year that a lot of series I've really enjoyed and fallen in love with are ending. I'm not quite ready for these series to end. The Eve series is one that's grown on me with each book. It's one of the few series that made me start to love Dystopians. Though I'm sad to see this series end, I'm looking forward to reading more of Anna's future books. If you're a fan of this series, I would recommend picking this book up. There is a lot of that happens in this book that you don't want to miss.

You can check out my reviews for Eve and Once. Don't miss my interview with Anna here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels