Mundie Moms

Friday, September 13, 2013

THORNHILL by Katherine Peacock, Book Review




Published: Katherine Tegen / Harper Teen
Released on: September 10th, 2013
Source: arc from publisher to review
Series: Hemlock #2
5 Stars: I Loved It
Purchase it From: AmazonBarnes & Noble
Add it Goodreads

Mac can’t lose another friend. Even if he doesn’t want to be found.

The ripple effect caused by Mac’s best friend Amy’s murder has driven Mac’s new love, Kyle, to leave Hemlock and disappear from her life forever. But Mac knows that Kyle plans to enroll in a rehabilitation camp, where he can live with other werewolves. She refuses to accept his decision, especially since the camps are rumored to be tortuous. So she sets out in search of Kyle with a barely sober Jason—and Amy’s all-seeing ghost—in tow.

Clues lead Mac to find Kyle in a werewolf den in Colorado—but their reunion is cut short by a Tracker raid. Now Mac and Kyle are trapped inside the electric fences of Thornhill, a camp for  young werewolves. As she devises an escape plan, Mac uncovers dangerous secrets buried within the walls of Thornhill—and realizes that the risk to the people she loves is greater than ever before.

This sequel as it all! It's action packed, suspenseful and will leave readers on the edge of their seat. Fans of Hemlock will love what Kathleen Peacock gives them in Thornhill!

I loved Hemlock! Sure that ending left me heartbroken for Mac and a little irritated with Kyle, because let's face it, his excuse to leave and "protect her" wasn't a very good excuse in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I understood why he felt that way, but still. Mac has already proven she's a strong character and she only grows that much stronger in this book. Thank goodness she's also incredibly stubborn! If she wasn't, Thornhill wouldn't have started off with with Mac and Jason in Colorado looking for Kyle, and ended the way it did.  

I loved that Thornhill picks up right where Hemlock ended. I have to give credit to Mac. She will do whatever it takes to protect those she loves and cares about. Take for granted, running off without letting Tess know, finding herself in the middle of werewolf territory, and uncovering a few shocking twists not only add to the story's suspense, they also endanger her life more. I admire Mac, because she's not a character who backs down, from anything. Or maybe it's the fact she won't take no for answer that I loved. No matter what it is, Mac has proven to me numerous times in Thornhill that she's as tough as the werewolves, or maybe tougher.

Oh the romance, action, suspense and twists. Kathleen Peacock doesn't hold back in this sequel. From the moment Thornhill starts and through the last page, this book is packed full of action. Some characters get attached, punches get thrown, a few characters get beat up, others find out what really happens at the Thornhill camp, and it's not pretty by any means. Threats get made, characters get shot, and a car crash happens. It's literally none stop action.

From fight scenes, to scenes from within the "rehabilitation" camp full of werewolves, to the complicated relationships, and well written twists that even I didn't see coming, Thornhill is one heck of a sequel. I loved those twists! I will not say what they are, because they're huge spoilers, but I can say one deals with a complicated relationship, and the other is a stolen kiss. Ooh and that stolen kiss was so well done! Those twists were shocking, hard to predict and perfect for this storyline. Just when I thought I had things/characters figured out, Kathleen throws me for a loop. It kept me on my toes the entire time I read the book (well okay I read the book in one sitting, but still), I couldn't put it down.

The romance in this sequel is fabulous! I loved the stolen kisses, the soft touches, and even the protectiveness that both Kyle and Jason have for Mac, especially while in the Thornhill Camp. I'll admit, I loved having Kyle back in the story, but my heart kinda veered over to Jason in this book. It's not just the fact that he risks a lot to help Mac find Kyle, and then all the crazy, shocking things that happen after they do find him, it's what he does for Mac herself. He's there for her. He protects her even when she doesn't think she needs it. He doesn't let her push him away when she claims she doesn't need help, and when she does ask for it, he's the first one to stand beside her. But it's also the little things, I was surprised at how much I started falling for him. But, this is not a love triangle story.

I loved the romance between Mac and Kyle. Even in the midst of chaos and danger, these two steal kisses, have those stolen glances, and soft touches. Given the situations they continue to find themselves in, in Thornhill, those moments were sighworthy to say the least. BUT, their relationship is not what it once was, and I'm a bit worried about that means for the two of them in the next book. There's a riff between them, while I hope for Mac's sake things work out, I'm kinda hoping something might happen between she and Jason (wishful thinking). I loved the both Kyle and Jason would do anything to protect Mac. As I said before Thornhill has a few twists, and there's more than these two guys who are willing to risk it all to protect Mac. 

There are a few other surprising allies in this complicated plot line. I loved that Serena plays a huge role in this story, as does a new character Eve. Though there were times I might have gotten a little irritated with Mac's whole, "you guys can go home, I will do this one my own" and the few times she wanted to make some really stupid rash decisions, I still thought she was an incredibly strong character, and I admired her for wanting to protect those she loved/cared about even if that meant putting herself in harms way. Talk about an ending that makes you wish you already had the next book. Kathleen may have wrapped up a few things in her story, but she gives you an ending that makes you want to beg her to tell you want is going to happen next.

If you loved Hemlock, go pick this one up! Thornhill is an awesome, must read sequel!
Don't miss my interview with Kathleen talking about Thornhill here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels