Mundie Moms

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: Altered Perceptions Anthology to Help Robison Wells

I spied a tweet a few days ago from Shannon Hale with a link to her post, "What Do Writers and Mental Illness Have in Common?" Here's a little of what she said:

When a writer needs help, what do fellow writers do? We write! (Let’s be honest, it’s all we know how to do. We literally have zero other skills.) Due to his debilitating mental illnesses, fellow writer Robison Wells (Variant) and his family have crippling debt. In support of Robison Wells, his brother Dan Wells (I Am Not a Serial Killer) and Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, Steelheart) have put together Altered Perceptions, a stellar anthology with contributions from 30 professional authors. For $10 buy the ebook, for $25 a hardcopy, with every dime going to the Wells’ family debt (Brandon Sanderson is swallowing all the overhead).

Please go to the Indiegogo page and pledge your money! Great stuff for a great cause! My own contribution is a short story. As of this moment, the only people in the world who have read this short story are my husband and Kiersten White. I hesitate to describe it for fear of spoi

ling it. But it’s safe to say my readers haven’t read anything like it from me before. I anticipate some people might be shocked by it, but I like it. I wanted to participate in this fundraiser not only because I know and like Robison, but because mental illness is a personal matter for me. Like all of you I’m sure, there are dear people in my life who have to claw their way through every day battling a mental illness. It’s common. It’s biological. It’s not their fault. It’s not laziness or a bad attitude or a result of bad choices. It’s a disease like cancer or any other. I appreciate how open Robison is about his own struggles. He is helping to remove the stigma of mental illness. It’s something we could all acknowledge a little more.

I think it's very safe to say that all of our lives have been touched by mental illness whether in our family or our friends or ourselves. Shannon's words definitely touched me, so I headed over and pledged. Just think, Mundie Moms, a $10 contribution is about what you'd pay for an ebook or a YA paperback. You get an amazing anthology in return. I think it's worth it and I hope you consider contributing if you are able.

Here's the link one more time. We all know how very generous our Shadowhunter community is when it comes to moments like this. Have a fabulous Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels