Mundie Moms

Thursday, September 11, 2014

#WeWillNEVERForget

(Image source: Google)

13 yrs ago. 
I still remember the exact moment I heard the news.
The 1st World Trade Center was hit.
Then the next. 
Then news broke of the Pentagon.
Then another plane was down.  
I remember the flood of emotions that I felt that day. 
I remember that feeling "of what is happening", to "how could this happen", to anger, to wanting to drop everything and go fight to protect my country, to heartbreak, and being so moved by the heroic stories that were emerging that day, and for days to come. 
Not once did I feel fear. 
If anything, I felt a greater sense of American Pride.
I witnessed a nation come together and stand taller, and closer together. 
In the midst of all the hell, the chaos, the heartbreak, and witnessing the unthinkable happen, Americans united in pride, in love, and stood taller in our faith of our great nation.
In all the horrible things that happened that day, we also witnessed a world unite through love.
The memories of many live on. 
We are left to tell the story of how a day so tragic, moved so many of us to action, and to do more.
As a nation we cried together, we prayed together, we mourned together. 
We came together to help each other. 
WE WILL NEVER FORGET the events that happened that day.
NEVER FORGET.

3 comments:

  1. I was in my first semester at college and waiting in the library for class to start (you had to get to the campus by 7:30 am to get a decent parking spot). I had just finished on the computer and was starting towards my first class at 9:15 and I saw this crowd around the tiny TV mounted to the wall in the library's little cafe area.

    I stood there, confused, as the news reel silently ticked across the bottom of the screen and this guy I had graduated high school with came up next to me and said, "I guess World War 3 just started."

    It took me a second to realize what was happening - where this was - and then we all watched the second plane crash into the South Tower. We just stood there watching, no one talking, the crowd around us growing until the librarian came over and announced the campus was closing.

    By the time I got home, the towers had come down, the Pentagon had been hit and another plane had crashed in PA, but no one was sure what happened with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That feeling of confusion, and not understanding what was really happening is a feeling that still haunts me. Watching the events unfold on TV felt so surreal. I'll never forget watching the news, where I was at (I had just walked into work when the first tower was hit), and the emotions of that day. Witnessing the entire nation come to it's knees that day is something I hope I never have to experience again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are places in this country where signs on the doors read, "Today is September 12th" so that those entering never forget.

    Thank you so much for posting this! My husband was on his way to the Pentagon when it was hit. (He was in the Air Force at the time.) I was at the barn, and it came on the radio that a plane and hit the first tower, but they assumed it was a small plane. Once I was in the arena riding, I was completely unaware until a neighbor came running across the street to ask me about my husband because the Pentagon had been hit. Noah was always skittish, so I had to be very careful to avoid panicking until I got off. Then the phones were all down and I couldn't reach anyone for hours.

    I stopped by the school to tell my kids everything was fine in case they had heard, and there was chaos. So many military families, including the teacher, and everyone panicking.

    Those hours of not being able to communicate, not knowing what had happened, were so fleeting compared to all those thousands of people who didn't know for days and weeks, or to those people in the towers who called to say good-bye. My heart breaks for the families still, for those lost and the survivors who loved them. I weep for the parents who since that moment will never have the same sense of faith that their children are safe in America, and for the children who will not grow up in the same place that we did.

    For me, it is always September 12th.

    ReplyDelete

Labels