Mundie Moms

Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Shadowhunter Series Update: More Rumors and Jace Does What?



Hello fellow Shadowhunters! I hope all is well with you. Things in the Shadowhunters series world aren't looking so great. Thank you to Spoiler TV, we have another fabulous rumor update. Last week I posted an update on what we knew so far. I'm adding to that list from the most recent update from Spoiler TV. According to their article, here's what else is circulating:


According to our source, production on Shadowhunters has been pushed back to late June.

We have also received some new teasers. According to our source:- An early scene see's Simon and Clary at Java Jones. They're watching the news about a 'Demonic Killer' who has killed 7 people.
- Natalie carries Yeti in her backpack. She's described as a bit possessive and bohemian beautiful.
- Jace has a creep moment where he inscribes a rune on Clary's upper thigh while she's passed out.
- Steles are retained from the books.
- Seraph Blades are retained from the books.

We've also received the full description, the craigslist post previously cut off the last few words:
Clary Fray is perfectly normal; she's a budding art student who loves spending time with her friends and family. On her 18th birthday, however, Clary discovers she is part of an age-old battle between demons and an elite race of warriors known as Shadowhunters. When her mother is kidnapped and her home is destroyed, so is her sense of reality. Clary must now understand her new role in an ancient battle, and come to terms with her family's past.

Let's talk about the first thing. I totally get pushing back the production. That's totally not an uncommon thing to have happen when making TV series or movies. Hopefully this means it will give them more time to get the Jace issues corrected. I'll get to that in an minute.

The next thing, oh yeah, Natalie is still in the picture as Simon's girlfriend. I'm sorry, it's nothing against Natalie the character, but I'm against Natalie as Simon's girlfriend, as that ruins the Simon and Clary relationship that is so crucial in the beginning of the series. Natalie wouldn't bother me if she was introduced later on in the TV series.

I'm glad they're are sticking to the steles and seraph blades. That is very reassuring. 

Here is the thing that bothers me above everything else that is said to be in the scripted / rumored with the entire series so far, the Jace thing.  I, along with A LOT of other people have a HUGE issue with this: 
 Jace has a creep moment where he inscribes a rune on Clary's upper thigh while she's passed out. 

WHAT IN THE NAME OF SHADOWHUNTERS! Are you serious? Book Jace, would never VIOLATE Clary in anyway. YES, inscribing a rune on her upper thigh while she is passed out is not okay. At all. That crosses over from creepy to the makings of a rape scene. I'm just saying. This angers me so much. Jace is protective of Clary, not possessive of her. Yes, inscribing a rune on her thigh shows creepy and possession. Something Jace doesn't show at all in the series. 

Book Jace is that charming, handsome, funny and yes sometimes totally cocky character we can't help but love. He's a broken character who doesn't allow hardly anyone close to him. He fiercely protects, loves, and is loyal to the few who are close to him, including Clary. His humor is a huge part of who he is. Jace uses his humor to deflect and make us care about him. I felt a lot of that was missed in the movie. Yes, there were some funny one liners, but that was it. Whom ever is cast in the TV series is going to have to bring book Jace to life in a way that makes us love him all over again, like we did when reading the book. That means through his angst, and his humor. 

Okay, back to the creep scene. Jace might be a lot of different things, but he is not a creep, nor does he, at anytime, do anything to violate Clary or creepy to her in the books. I understand changes get made in adaptations, but ruining a character's credibility is not okay.  I'm not okay with this rumored scene at all. Yes, it bothers me, because it's a violation of Clary, something her love interest does to her. It's not okay. Also, why on earth would you give Clary's love interest a creep moment? The moment he acts like a creep, is the moment he doesn't become a love interest in anymore. Just saying. I really hope this is truly a ridiculous rumor and it gets fixed quickly. 

I'd like to know what you think? Does this bother you as much as it bothers me? Are you okay with this rumor, or are you hoping it's just that, a ridiculous rumor? 

Please remember fans, do not direct your frustrations or questions to Cassandra Clare about any of this. She has nothing to do with the series at all. Please direct those to @ABCFamily. They are the network airing the series. I'm really hoping that they'll be able to fix some of these rumors before the series goes into production. If you want to join in and voice your opinion about creepy Jace, there is a hashtag on Twitter for it #JaceIsNotaRapist 

Edit: I wanted to clear up some confusion. ABC Family is the network airing the Shadowhunters series. They are HUGE fans of the books. Constantin and Ed Decter are over the script and other aspects of the TV show behind the scenes. I'm really hoping that unlike the movie, Constantin will do a much better job at getting the storyline and characters done right, but so far it doesn't look like it. 

The reason why I've been posting info about the show is that I really, really want this to be successful. Not just for Cassandra Clare, but also for us fans. Another reason has to do with the fact that those making the tv series do read and hear what fans are saying. They hear what fans are saying, and we're hoping that maybe we can get them to hear that some of their decisions are going to be as poorly done as the movie decisions were. I'm not reporting on rumors for the sake of reporting them. Some things have been confirmed to me from insiders and other information has been publicly posted from creditable sources, which I link back to.

8 comments:

  1. Shaking my head over here re: Jace. Please tell us that he will not have a Fifty-style Red Room of Pain. That's deviating a LOT from his character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! This isn't Fifty Shades of Shadowhunting.

      Delete
  2. I hate rumors and have a hard time believing in them. Sometimes I think people are just looking for something bad to say. And honestly I can't judge something I haven't seen. Kind of like judging a book by the cover alone. I hope they aren't true but I'm not going to get all upset over them since it is what it is - a rumor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there is a lot more truth to some of these rumors than not. Having friends who work in Hollywood is great, except when they can confirm certain things. Hopefully a lot of these rumors will be fixed before the show is actually filmed.

      Delete
    2. Sadly the real problem is Constantine, they have the same people doing the TV series as the movie. Nothing is going to change they ruined the movie and will ruin this. CW would have been a much better fit for the show I doubt it will even last 1 season.

      Delete
  3. I don't see where it says the ruin is Jace's name... It it is, that's not cool.. But wasn't there a time where he puts a ruin on Clary to disguise or save her when he wasn't sure she was a shadow hunter and that could have killed her?? Maybe that is where the "creep" factor comes in????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, he did to save her life, but this scene for the tv series is a totally creepy, and not at all like the book moment. I highlighted it what it says, which is, "Jace has a creep moment where he inscribes a rune on Clary's upper thigh while she's passed out.". The issue I have is, that one, that shows creep, and two, it shows possession. I think there's a big difference in putting a ruin on her hand to save her from death, vs inscribing a ruin on her upper thigh while she is passed out. That's what I have an issue with. Why on earth would they even want him to have e creep moment when he's suppose to be her love interest? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't hold much hope for the series with it airing on ABC family, the network doesn't really have much of a history or luck with running paranormal style series. They're known for their realistic or soap opera style dramas and their sitcoms. Case in point The Nine Lives of Chloe King. I was sooo psyched for that show and they killed it before it even got a chance to begin. A show like this one should be airing on the CW where it actually stands a chance of lasting.

    ReplyDelete

Labels