Mundie Moms

Monday, February 29, 2016

Lady Midnight Playlist



We're about a week away from Lady Midnight's release! To celebrate, Cassandra Clare shared her playlist for Lady Midnight here. We're huge fans of author playlists, and have loved the previous playlists Cassandra Clare has shared for her other books. Check out the entire playlist below.

Lady Midnight is coming out in one week (and a few hours) so in honor of that I’m putting up the playlist. Usually songs remind me of specific characters in general rather than scenes or themes, so I’ve made notes.
Play Crack The Sky: Brand New
(Julian and Emma)
This story’s old but it goes on and on until we disappear.
Calm me and let me taste the salt you breathed while you were underneath.
I am the one who haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the sea.
I spoke the words but never gave a thought to what they all could mean.
You’ve Haunted Me All Of My Life: Death Cab for Cutie
(Lady Midnight’s own story)
You’ve haunted me all my life
You’re always out of reach when I’m in pursuit
Long winded then suddenly mute
And there’s a flaw in my heart’s design
For I keep trying to make you mine

And so I wait but I never seem to learn
How to capture your diminishing returns
I still see you through the eyes of a child
Not even thinking we could tame the wild.
“Always Gold” by Radical Face
(Mark and Julian. Ty and Julian, Ty and Mark - brotherhood in general!)
We were tight knit boys
Brothers in more than name
You would kill for me
And knew that I’d do the same
And it cut me sharp
Hearing you’d gone away.

Malibu: Hole
(A song from my own growing-up period! This one really spoke to me about the power of the ocean, forgetting yourself in the water, and all the people — Cristina, Diana, Emma — who make new starts in Malibu.)
And I knew
Love would tear you apart
Oh, and I knew
The darkest secret of your heart
I’m gonna follow you
Oh baby, fly away to Malibu
Oceans of angels
Oceans of stars
Down by the sea is where you
Drown your scars.
Chocolate by The 1975
I love this one for Emma and Cristina…it was so much fun writing their friendship.
Oh we go where nobody knows
With guns hidden under our petticoats
No we’re never gonna quit it
No we’re never gonna quit it, no
Yeah we’re dressed in black from head to toe
We’ve got guns hidden under our petticoats
No we’re never gonna quit it. no we’re never gonna quit it no

If The Night Is Dark: Seeker Lover Keeper
(Mark)
Well I’m trying to decide 
Should I run, should I hide
Show them tricks and be tamed.
Yeah, it’s true that I’ve changed
But I’m also the sameI’m just playing the game
.If you lay down beside me 
You’ll feel that I’m cold
And I’m empty, it’s true.See the more I reveal 
The more lonely I feel
What was one is now broken, broken in two. 
California, Airborne Toxic Event
(Emma and the way she wants to be remembered.)
And oh, I hope it’s clear: there’s no room for us anymore in the atmosphere,
But darling I always liked the desperation in your eyes,
The way you’d dance in the glow of the Hollywood Freeway lights.

Someday they’re gonna forget about us and we’ll wonder if we were ever good enough.
It hit me last night, in this song I heard, I remember the feeling but forget all the words.
Soul Meets Body, Death Cab for Cutie
(Julian, thinking about Emma)
I do believe it’s true
That there are roads left in both of our shoes
But if the silence takes you
Then I hope it takes me too
So brown eyes I’ll hold you near
‘Cause you’re the only song I want to hear
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere
Fire and the Flood Vance Joy
(The lines First the fire, then the flood, from an old riddle are really important in the book, so it was fun to find this song. Plus it could really cover several couples I can’t talk about yet!)
You’re the fire and the flood
And I’ll always feel you in my blood
Everything is fine
When your head’s resting next to mine
Next to mine
You’re the fire and the flood
The Trapeze Swinger, Iron and Wine
(It was fun to write about people who’d known each other their whole lives rather than just having met and this strikes me as being about memory and love past and present)
And please remember me as in the dream
We had as rug burned babies
Among the fallen trees and fast asleep
Beside the lions and the ladies

That called you what you like and even might
Give a gift for your behavior
A fleeting chance to see a trapeze
Swinger high as any savior

But please remember me, my misery
And how it lost me all I wanted
Those dogs that love the rain and chasing trains
The colored birds above there running

In circles round the well and where it spells
On the wall behind St. Peter
So bright on cinder gray in spray paint
'Who the hell can see forever?’
Death, by White Lies
(Mark, Kieran and others in the Wild Hunt)
I love the feeling when we lift off
Watching the world so small below
I love the dreaming when I think of
The safety in the clouds out my window
I wonder what keeps us so high up
Could there be a love beneath these wings
If we suddenly fall should I scream out
Or keep very quiet and cling to my mouth as I’m crying
So frightened of dying
Relax, yes, I’m trying
But fear’s got a hold on me
Ocean Wide, the Afters
(This always read to me as about love, but not necessarily romantic love — some of the most important love in the book is family love, Ty’s and Julian’s, Livvy and Ty, etc)
I’ll stay right here
It’s where I’ll always belong
Days like this, I wish the sun wouldn’t set
I don’t want to forget
What made us feel this way
You see through all my fears
And that’s what got us here
Flaws by Bastille
(The Blackthorns and their secrets)
“You have always worn your flaws upon your sleeve, and I have always buried them deep beneath the ground. Dig them up; let’s finish what we started.” 
The Ocean, the Bravery
(Diego and Cristina)
I climbed up a mountain and looked off the edge
At all of the lives that I never have led
There’s one where I stayed with you across the sea
I wonder, do you still think of me?
I carry your image always in my head
Folded and yellowed and torn at the edge
And I’ve looked upon it for so many years
Slowly I am losing your face
Jasey Rae, All Time Low
(Julian, and the games he’s forced to play)
I’ve never told a lie
And that makes me a liar
I’ve never made a bet
But we gamble with desire
I’ve never lit a match
With intent to start a fire
But recently the flames are getting out of control
Keane, Love is the End
(Emma and the ocean)
I took off my clothes and I ran to the ocean
Looking for somewhere to start anew
And when I was drowning in that holy water
All I could think of was you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels