Mundie Moms

Monday, May 14, 2018

CAST LONG SHADOWS by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan / Audiobook Review #castlongshadows #shadowhunters


By: Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan
Narrated by: Jonathon Bailey
Published by: Shadowmarket Enterprises / Simon and Schuster Audio
Released on: April 10th, 2018
Series: Ghosts of the Shadow Market #2
Purchase from: Audiobook | Amazon | B&N
Add it to Goodreads
Rating: 5 Stars - WE LOVED IT!

Matthew Fairchild is the Consul’s son and the golden-haired boy of the Nephilim. He has the love of his family and his parabatai James Herondale, and nothing to wish for, except excitement and artistry and beauty that do not seem to fit in with a warrior’s way of life. Matthew gets more than he bargained for at the Shadow Market, where he commits the greatest sin of his life – something he can never tell his parabatai, or any of the honorable Shadowhunters around him.

SOPHIE'S REVIEW

You guys, you guys, you guys, this anthology should be called Jem Wanders through the Shadow Market and Sophie Dies of Happy. I am absolutely loving these short stories. In this one, we're introduced to some of the children of Infernal Devices, and my heart melted a thousand times over. Seeing this next generation face new struggles as Shadowhunters is so interesting. Making it all the more fun is seeing the beloved characters of ID as adults. Will is so very Will. Jem is so very Jem. If you hear my sighs through these words, then I'm projecting my love for my very favorite series rather well .

One of the things that I constantly feel as I listen to these audiobooks (props again to Simon and Schuster Audio for choosing a fantastic narrator in Jonathon Bailey) is a melancholy because our beloved Jem, Will and Tessa have so much at stake -- constantly.  The last scene in this story finds Will and Jem walking side-by-side and, honestly, I just wanted them to be their parabatai selves, but now, they are burdened with other things in life.

Speaking of burdens (keeping it spoiler-free, I swear), Matthew is such a fascinating character. I completely loved reading about him.

Looking forward to more from Sarah and Cassie. They've really delivered everything a reader would want in these two released stories.


EMM'S REVIEW

Oh boy more Jem, I am just loving this collection of short stories! It follows everyones favourite Silent Brother as he comes across our other favourite characters in the Shadow Market, so I think this might be my new favourite short story series from the Shadowhunter world. In this short story we get the children of the characters in The Infernal Devices, so I was straight away in my happy place. Although strongly focused around Mathew, 
Henry and Charlotte's son, we still get to see a lot of James and Lucy Herondale who are the children of Will and Tessa, as well many other children of our beloved TID characters. This one looks to be a great set up to The Last Hours Series.

One of the key feeling I felt reading this was heartbreak. Heartbreak doesn't just come from a partner but also a friend, a parent or a sibling. Cast Long Shadows looks at how heartbreak can happen so easily and first heartbreaks can effect you deeply. This one definitely had some heartbreaking moments, which for a short story was done so well. It gave us a great fun and light hearted introduction of these young characters who will become the central story for The Last Hours, then it took a turn we did not expect and one that I believe will influence the future.

Can you tell I want The Last Hours books now!
But I'm loving Ghosts of the Shadow Market in the meantime.


1 comment:

  1. Great reviews Sophie and Emm :D I'm so glad you both loved this story, eeee. <3 I am SO excited about it too :D I must get to reading soon, so that I can read all these new stories. <3 Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Labels