Mundie Moms

Thursday, March 19, 2015

A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab, Book Review


Written by: Victoria Schwab
Publisher: TOR Books
Release Date: February 24, 2015
Series: A Darker Shade of Magic
Source: Purchased

A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic, #1)

Buy: BAM | IndieBound | Powells | amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository

Rating: 5 out of 5 time traveling stars

Synopsis: Kell is one of the last Travelers—rare magicians who choose a parallel universe to visit.

Grey London is dirty, boring, lacks magic, ruled by mad King George. Red London is where life and magic are revered, and the Maresh Dynasty presides over a flourishing empire. White London is ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. Once there was Black London - but no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler, personal ambassador and adopted Prince of Red London, carrying the monthly correspondences between royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell smuggles for those willing to pay for even a glimpse of a world they’ll never see. This dangerous hobby sets him up for accidental treason. Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs afoul of Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a dangerous enemy, then forces him to another world for her 'proper adventure'.

But perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, Kell and Lila will first need to stay alive — trickier than they hoped.

When my sports-obsessed husband gets super excited about a game he’s watching he yells out, “Instant classic!” Well, that is exactly how I felt after only a few chapters of A Darker Shade of Magic. INSTANT CLASSIC. ADSoM has all the makings of a classic fantasy story – a detailed setting (that you want to get lost in, yes, even if it’s impossibly dangerous), a fast-paced plot (I may have wished that my kids could walk to and from school on their own just so I could keep reading) and characters that you wish you could meet in person.

The setting is unbelievable. Four, separate Londons. I KNOW. Four of one of my favorite cities. And all four Londons are linked by magic. They are also linked by Travelers, people who can use magic to transport themselves between the different cities. Kell is our main protagonist and he’s also one of these rare Travelers. Kell’s main job is to deliver messages from the kings and queens of the different Londons. Can you imagine my excitement as the political intrigue and betrayals begin to build?

But, Victoria doesn’t leave it at that level of simple, fantasy plot. No, she introduces more characters (don’t worry if you’re like me and have trouble keeping track of a larger cast of characters, you won't have that issue here) and she efficiently tells you their story before using them to further the impossibly fast-moving plot.

Oh you guys, I looooooooved Kell and just wait until you meet Lila. She is the perfect live-for-adventure heroine. The two of them grow to depend on one another and their chemistry and quick wits made me want to ship them forever. And then there’s the prince of Red London, Rhy. Those three, Kell, Lila and Rhy, have my heart.

Now I’m going to leave you to discover the villains for yourself. They are complex, motivated and yes, my hatred for them was deeeeeeep. In other words, they are the very best kind of villains. You get them and you still hate them.

Don’t wait to pick up your copy of ADSoM and be sure to bump it up on your TBR pile. This is a classic fantasy tale that is just waiting to be picked up and read. Warning: symptoms after you finish reading will include – a pounding book hangover, a desire to test out your Traveler skills and an overwhelming urge to own a cool multi-layered and flippable coat. The only known treatment is the next installment of the story. For that, we will have to wait an entire year. I know, I know, it will feel like forever.

3 comments:

  1. Yess. So happy that you loved this book Sophie :D I'm planning on reading it very soon. So so excited since so many are loving it :) You make it sound all kinds of amazing. <3 Thank you for sharing about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina - I hope you love it as much as I did!! And it really is amazing even minus all my fangirling!

      Delete
    2. Carina - I hope you love it as much as I did!! And it really is amazing even minus all my fangirling!

      Delete

Labels