Mundie Moms

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday: The Year of the YA Movie Take Over

2013 is ramping up to be a huge year for YA books / books being turned into movies. Along side The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, books that have been turned to movies releasing this year include: Beautiful Creatures, The Host, Warm Bodies, Austenland, The Hobbit, Catching Fire, The Great Gatsby, and I know I'm forgetting a few others, but these are some of the movies I can not wait to see!

Here's a brief look at some of this year's movie adaptations I can't wait to see:

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
August 23rd, 2013



Warm Bodies
February 1st, 2013



Beautiful Creatures
February 13th, 2013



The Host
March 29th, 2013



The Great Gatsby
May 10th, 2013



The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
November 22nd



Other 2013 releases:
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 8/16/13
Ender's Game 11/1/13

It's not just movies coming out this year, that is drawing a lot of movie buzz. There's some movies in the works, and movies like Divergent that will start filming this year for hopefully a 2014 release.

In looking for more movie news, I found a few "movie rumors" I thought I share with you guys. Here's a few others that have been mentioned on the web as becoming possible movies:

The Heist Society
Anna Dressed in Blood
Matched
Fallen
Wake
The Scorpio Races
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Delirium
If I Stay

Here's my question to you, are you a fan of all these books being turned into movies?

My answer? Yes and no. There are awesome books that I think will do amazing as movies (City of Bones, cough, cough), and then there are other books that I cringe at over hearing they're in movie talks. Some books just need to be left as they are and not be turned into a movie. I have a hard time believing that every movie on this list will do it's book justice. I don't think every huge YA book needs to be made into a movie. I'm also one of those people who will take a book over a movie any day. ;)

7 comments:

  1. I'm definitely excited for City of Bones and interested in Beautiful Creatures. HOWEVER, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters I am wary of. The first movie screwed up everything MAJORLY, so I don't know how they can redeem themselves with the sequel. As for Ender's Game, haven't read the book but definitely looking forward to seeing Harrison Ford.

    Also, Delirium has been optioned by FOX as a TV series, per Lauren Oliver's announcement on her blog, if you didn't catch it! FYI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for City of Bones! That is the one movie I'm most excited to see this year. I'm also looking forward to seeing BC. I heard they changed some things around, and I'm curious to see how that worked out for the movie.

      I'm not a fan of Orson Scott Card, and haven't read his series, so that's one movie I'm not planning on seeing, though I love that Harrison Ford is in it. I'm not sure how Percy would fair either. I think they should just walk away from making those movies.

      I'm so excited about Delirium being optioned by Fox. I think they could do a lot with it as a TV show.

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to ALL of these in fact i started a book club just to get friends to read these awesome books before the movie comes out. How could I forget about The Great Gatsby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you did that!! I will never go watch a movie without reading the book first. I saw a few of the Harry Potter movies w/o reading the books, and now I won't read the rest of the series, nor have I seen the last three movies, because I wanted to read those books first. lol

      I love The Great Gatsby, and I'm excited to see the movie.

      Delete
  3. I just reviews Warm Bodies on my blog this morning. Oddly, I couldn't find it in YA, it was in regular fiction. I found that so odd given its length and subject matter.

    I loved the book....it's an allegory for Romeo and Juliet. I will be seeing the movie the week it's released. I also loved The Host, too....much more than the Twilight series.

    And oc COURSE I cannot WAIT 'til City of Bones is released.

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that Delirium is being turned into a TV show. I'm somewhat excited, but I wish that it would be turned into a movie. I'll be really disappointed if it turns out like Pretty Little Liars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes and No is my answer to your question of being a fan of books turned into movies. If done right(keeping with the book) then yes I'm a fan. But if they(directors, producers, ect.) want to spin the story then HECK NO I'm not a fan. It's a pet peeve of mine when a certain characters gender(Cirque Du Freak) or a whole story line(Blood and Chocolate) are changed. I mean why turn a book that is popular with readers into a movie if it's going to be entirely different from what we read?

    ReplyDelete

Labels